Saturday, August 22, 2009

Packing for the other side of the world

In "Coming Home Crazy," Bill Holm has an entire chapter on how and why a Swiss Army Knife (with ten different features) is essential in China. Check. That one is on the list. But what books are essential, Bill? What creature comforts will I find essential on the other side of the world? What is the criteria for material possessions to be essential? And don't I wish I could be all ascetic about it and not want anything.

And my gorilla proportions (knuckle-dragging arms, line-backer shoulders); how will I find a shirt to fit? or shoes for my Sasquatch feet? Surely I can't carry all the clothing I will need for four seasons over 10 months in the arid mountains of Outer Mongolia? What will make the cut?

Should I bring my little honey of a Mac, or abandon it and try my luck with whatever the University gives me, replete with buggy bootleg versions of every software ever made? Alas, I have 6 days to decide before I'm free from the burden of having any choices at all. I'm preparing to surrender to a universe where everything is an approximation.

1 comment:

  1. My dear, pack your passionate and curious heart. That should be more than enough. The rest won't matter that much once you set your foot there! One thing though, do bring shoes if it's size 9+!

    ReplyDelete